Saturday 7 April 2012

So what's new?



On Wednesday I was asked to create the flowers for Jacaranda's tasting evening at Bury Court.
One of my favourite caterers and one of my favourite venues! So not a bad start!
However unlike most of my clients who give me a brief, whether it be colours, a themes
or are specific about their flower choices, my brief for this job was " there are two long tables"!
So exciting, and fairly daunting. Daunting because the only limitation was the flowers available in April.
It made me realize that this must be the exact situation every bride initially finds herself when planning her wedding flowers. It also made me think about what trends are emerging for this year and next.
As I said in my last post, I don't think 'Vintage' will disappear quickly, but I do think it will become refined, more creams, greens, herbs and textured foliages. The use of cheaper flowers that have, until recently gone out of fashion. Marred by over use on petrol station forecourts and stuffed into printed cellophane bouquets. Carnations, chrysanthemums and gypsophila. Carnations now come in wonderful soft, Vintagey colours such as this one called
'Antique' and look wonderful grouped together,

While gypsophila looks beautiful massed together or used with other small delicate flowers.

I think also that brides will be using more potted plants, not only are they cheaper, but they have the added value of being able to be planted and enjoyed long after the event.

On Wednesday,I used lily of the valley in little tin pots, alternated with lots of lanterns, votives, (candle light will never go out of fashion!) And of course flowers, seasonal arrangements of hellebores, 'Super Weber tulips', daises and 'Avalanche' roses in moss covered pots.




No comments:

Post a Comment