Wednesday 12 September 2012

DAHLIAS!!!!

I am often asked what is my favourite flower? The truth is I have many! I welcome the simplicity of daffodils in the spring, I adore peonies and sweet peas for their perfection and perfume and I love dahlias! I feel they are a much maligned flower, associated with allotments (though nothing wrong with an allotment!) and park gardens. But the colours and varieties they come in are endless! And they are cheap!

(All of these came from a market stall and cost me five pounds!!)

At the weekend we did a fantastic wedding, mixing dahlias of all colours, shapes and sizes with zinnias, euphorbia, astilbe, sunflowers,'Piano' roses and blackberries,
 all these wonderful seasonal flowers.
To add even more colour, we surrounded the cream jugs with coloured bottles and votives, and her bouquet was just a riot of colour with roses, dahlias, clematis, green bell and zinnias, with the bridesmaids using (slightly!) softer colours including astrantia and 'James Gallway' David Austin roses.

                      


But dahlias don't aways have to be the beautiful bold colours that we usually associate them with. One of my new favourites is one called 'Cafe au Lait' a large headed pale pink dahlia that would look stunning on its own, but here we used it with soft Vintage roses and sedum to create a romantic blend of pinks and ivories.
But however they come, on their own, mixed with other seasonal flowers or just enjoyed in the garden, I always feel that dahlia's give us that little bit of sunshine at the end of the summer!


No comments:

Post a Comment